Kids will enjoy making and eating this delicious fruit leather. Have you ever noticed how excited kids are when they make something themselves? As a mom I like knowing that when they eat a sweet snack like this, we know exactely where it came from and what is in it.
- Fresh fruit of your choice (we have used peaches, blueberries, strawberries, and apple)
- Filtered water
- Lemon juice
- Sugar or honey (as needed depending on the sweetness of your fruit)
- rimmed baking sheet
- measuring cups
- food processor or food mill
- plastic wrap or parchment paper (optional)
- tea towel
- Wash, peel, core and chop your fruit, and pat dry with a tea towel
- Place fruit in a saucepan, the ratio of fruit to water is 4 cups chopped fruit to 1 cup filtered water
- Cover and heat on low for about 15-20 minutes.
- At this point check your fruit for sweetness, if it needs it add some sugar or honey to taste.
- Cook until mixture is very soft and thick for about 10 more minutes, stir occasionally.
- Preheat your oven at this time to 200 degrees F
- Now carefully transfer the mixture to a food mill, or a food processor and blend fruit until it is very smooth and the texture of baby food.
- Line your rimmed baking sheet with heat safe plastic wrap. If you have a silicone rimmed baking sheet you can skip this step. If you try to avoid plastic you can place parchment paper instead.
- This will take 6-8 hours. You will know it is done when the leather is no longer sticky to the touch and will be very smooth.
- Remove it from the oven and peel from the plastic wrap. Store in an airtight container. This goes pretty quick in our house, but I think it would keep longer if stored in the refrigerator or the freezer.
You could also use a fruit dehydrator, which I have yet to try!